Cold pasta salads can offer really good solution for light and quick lunches, picnics or even for parties. As they are served cold, they can be pre-prepared, which is a huge advantage in a number of scenarios.
I often make this pasta salad not only because of practical considerations. My husband simply loves it! I love it too not only because it is so easy to prepare but because it is full of fresh and tasty vegetables. The goat’s cheese or feta gives it a bit of a “binding” agent while the pine nuts or walnuts make it slightly crunchy. I normally serve it with a simple egg sandwich or with rustic bread with pesto, guacamole or hummus spread.
The recipe originates from the BBC Food website but I made minor changes to it. Ever since I found it, this dish has been an essential part of my household. Everyone who tasted it so far, instantly fell in love with it. So, don’t hesitate to try it and impress your family and friends with it.
- 300 gram pasta (preferably durum penne, farfalle or fusilli)
- 250 gram cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 100 gram black olives (stoned and sliced)
- 225 gram baby spinach leaves
- 1 bunch of fresh basil (alternatively 1 tablespoon of dried basil flakes can be used)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 200 gram goat’s cheese (crumbled) or feta cheese (squared)
- 2 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts or walnuts (if walnuts are used, chop them roughly)
- Salt according to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta, rinse in cold water. Set aside to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, add the quartered cherry tomatoes and sprinkle them with the salt. Add the olives and the baby spinach leaves. Sprinkle the mixture with the olive oil and the juice of the lemon. Add the crumbled goat’s cheese and mix well. Add the cold pasta to the salad mixture and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the salad with the toasted pine nuts or walnuts.
- Serve immediately. Alternatively, you can keep it for a few days in the fridge in a sealed container.
Serve it with sandwiches, eggs, spreads and the success of this quick meal will be guaranteed. Offer some old-fashioned lemonade, lemon water or ginger beer with it and the meal will be complete & unforgettable.